Monday, July 23, 2012

Good ole' Vermud!!!

Today was the sad day that forced us to leave Hanover. It was really nice being back in a college town. I guess it had something to do with what I get to look forward to in the Spring. I was actually ready to come out of town today. It was really weird. I was talking to Anchor on the way to the shelter today and I was saying how much more at peace I was being out in the woods than being in town. Like I was meant to be in the woods. I didn't like the noise, the complexity, and the speed at which things happened in a real town. Things are just so much more simple out in the woods than they are in town. I have truly found something and somewhere that I love and I'm going to cherish it for as long as reasonably possible. I also realized how easy it will be for me to finish the trail in a little over 4 months. Maybe I'll be home sooner than we thought mom and dad :) so far the trails in Vermont are amazing. They're packed with pine needles so it's almost a shock absorbant. Well, time for bed. Goodnight all. Pictures of the trail tomorrow.
Day 42
Today is another 20 miler. I'm up at 645 ready to get a good start on the day. I set two alarms and the guys aren't even awake yet. Awesome
Today was the first real day I've thought about quitting. I haven't been this dehydrated, this hungry, or this tired as I was today. It was a 20 mile day, but I underestimated the terrain and got my butt kicked by a bunch of up's and down's that weren't much on the elevation chart, but constantly going up switchback after switchback all day really took its tole. Tomorrow is a shorter day through the town of Killington and Rutland. I need snacks so I'll be getting enough to last me till Manchester Center. Then from there it's off to Dalton, MA for some much needed R&R. Goodnight and please keep me in your prayers. This hike is more mentally taxing than I ever expected. I need lots of mental fortitude to complete this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment