Friday, August 3, 2012

My restlessness intensifies every minute I'm in town. My yearning for the trail never seems to go away. It is now setting in that the only place that I truly feel alive and at peace is deep in the woods. The nights are calm and cool and the mornings are filled with beautiful sights, sounds and smells of a fresh new day on this earth. The presence of the Lord truly shines in the beauty of the forest especially in the cooling breeze on a hot day, or the clearing of the trees revealing a picturesque landscape. The payoff after a long day of walking always outweighs the pain and energy put into those grueling 25 miles. The knowledge of my what my body needs and the better understanding of it are things that I will never be able to forget. Knowing that I can push out those last 5 miles or knowing that I can make it up this hill because, "No mountain lasts forever" truly amaze me once completed. I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be able to push myself as far as I have already without breaking down. Knowing this truly does propel me forward for the rest of my hike along with the relentless support from friends and family emotionally walking every step of the way with me. Without that support, I know that I would have quit a long time ago. Without that support, my dream of a thru-hike would have been finished before it even started. Thank you do much for what you do to help me out in my journey. I may not even know you, but you have no idea how much I appreciate you.

1 comment:

  1. Gregory; What a wonderfully insightful writing! Your are truly a special person who loves the great outdoors. We are so proud of you! Travel safely. Love, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete