Sunday, June 10, 2012

Summit Day

Quite easily the hardest thing that I have done in my 20 year life, but the reward far outweighed the pain I went through today.

The day started at 4:30 this morning. We got to the park a little after 6:30 and I began my ascent right at 7:15. The beginning started out pretty easy. The trail was smooth and there were few stones to step over. I thought that it was going to be a great day. Boy was I in for a rude awakening....
Then came the section above tree line. This is where it really got hard. The rocks on the trail became boulders that I had to climb. Big boulders the size of cars.
The table lands came next and the views only got better. The trail continued to be strenuous,  but by the time I was above tree line the views made the boulders well worth it. 

The summit was everything I could have asked for. The views were completely breathtaking and I couldn't have asked for a better day to summit. Now begins the the first week on the trail. I'm starting out with the 100 mile wilderness. Lets hope everything goes well and I hope to be out of the woods and in Monson in 7-8 days. Thanks again to all of you supporting me and I'll post again as soon as possible. 


1 comment:

  1. I am so excited and happy for you! Those boulders ARE gargantuan, but you are right view is spectacular. I can't imagine what it was like in person. I'll be thinking about you and all the wonderfully rewarding days ahead of you. Trek on!

    ReplyDelete